Magnesium is essential for life. It has a calming effect, helping your body rebound from stress. By affecting over 300 enzymatic reactions, magnesium plays a major role in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fat, and proteins. Magnesium helps the body utilize the B complex vitamins, vitamin C, and vitamin E. It also acts as an electrolyte and is intimately related to the action of vitamin D and calcium. Together with these two nutrients, magnesium promotes bone, muscle, and heart function.
Magnesium Essentials provides five high-quality magnesium chelates along with pyridoxal 5’- phosphate (P-5-P), the active form of vitamin B6 that is easy on the stomach. P-5-P facilitates uptake of magnesium, helping to prevent magnesium loss. Unlike other forms of vitamin B6, P-5-P doesn’t require conversion by the liver. P-5-P is found naturally in the body and is used in serotonin production, a neurotransmitter that affects mood and ability to handle stress.
What Makes This Product Different?
Getting enough magnesium is more of a challenge than most people realize. Due to mineral depletion and lower quality diets, many people aren’t consuming enough.
Absorbing your magnesium can also be a problem. Cheap forms of magnesium, such as magnesium oxide, are poorly absorbed, causing stomach upset. This supplement uses amino acid chelates, in which elemental magnesium is bound with an amino acid. Chelates protect the magnesium from binding with other dietary compounds that prevent absorption. Studies show that high-quality magnesium chelates have 3 to 4 times the bioavailability of magnesium oxide, which has a 10 percent absorption rate in the body.
Including vitamin B6 improves magnesium’s enzymatic activity for a more potent effect. Magnesium works synergistically with vitamin B6 to improve absorption and reduce stress. Vitamin B6 moderates the release of stress hormones, such as cortisol. Magnesium and vitamin B6 contribute to energy metabolism and support mood and management of anxiety.
Magnesium Essentials provides five highly absorbable magnesium chelates:
- Magnesium glycinate is a form of magnesium that is bound with two molecules of glycine, an amino acid that has a calming effect on the body and brain. Glycine also supports liver health and detoxification and may help the body eliminate harmful compounds such as glyphosate.
- Magnesium orotate is ideal for people with sensitive GI function because it doesn’t dissociate in the gut. It is protective against cardiovascular disease, lowering LDL and increasing HDL cholesterol. It also lowers plaque formation in the arteries that stimulates atherosclerosis. Magnesium orotate positively impacts blood flow and has improved outcomes in stroke and heart failure patients. It can kickstart the manufacture of more myocardial protein to replace damaged tissue after heart attacks while also stimulating ATP so the heart has a ready energy supply.
- Magnesium citrate is one of the best absorbed forms of magnesium, pulling water into the bowel to help flush waste and relieve constipation. Because of its high absorbability, magnesium citrate helps get your body’s magnesium stores up quickly. It supports healthy sleep and can reduce symptoms of restless leg syndrome. Magnesium citrate lowers markers of inflammation and may reduce the risk of calcium build-up in soft tissues that causes heart disease.
- Magnesium malate is easily absorbed in the GI tract and is necessary for the Krebs cycle. It is useful for people who experience low energy by raising ATP energy production and boosting the body’s antioxidant defenses. Magnesium malate is a great post-workout recovery supplement, assisting with clearance of muscle lactate. It is also helpful for people with neuromuscular conditions, including chronic fatigue, ADHD, depression, and fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium taurinate is aimed at lowering anxiety and obsessive thoughts. In addition to easing mental stress, magnesium taurate relaxes blood vessels and improves calcium homeostasis, decreasing heart disease risk. It is also recommended for migraine headaches, reducing hyperexcitation of brain neurons. Magnesium taurate may treat pre-eclampsia in pregnant women and protects the fetus from complications due to elevated maternal blood pressure.
Clinical research shows the following benefits of achieving adequate magnesium status:
- Enhances Bone Health*: Magnesium improves activity of vitamin D and calcium, supporting bone strength.
- Improves Exercise Performance*: Magnesium plays a role in powering exercise, ensuring your muscles have the energy for maximal efforts.
- Promotes Muscle Repair*: Magnesium improves lactate clearance and antioxidant status for faster muscle recovery.
- Eases Stress*: Magnesium helps metabolize cortisol and lower stress. Adding vitamin B6 improves brain chemistry, lowering rates of depression.
- Overcomes ADHD*: Magnesium calms brain neurons. Supplementing with 200 mg of magnesium has been shown to reduce hyperactivity in children.
- Supports Cardiovascular Health*: Magnesium relaxes blood vessels and helps prevent cardiovascular inflammation.
- Improves Insulin Sensitivity*: High glucose levels deplete magnesium. Restoring magnesium status has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity by 32 percent.
- Improves Relaxation & Sleep*: By calming the central nervous system, magnesium can improve sleep in people with insomnia and anxiety.
- Supports Mood*: Magnesium affects neurotransmitters and raises mental outlook. One study found that magnesium was as effective as an anti-depressant for improving mood in depressed elderly patients.
- Improves Immunity*: Magnesium affects the immune response via its role in regulating inflammation and the function of immune cells.
- Reduces Asthma*: Magnesium relaxes the bronchial airway, improving lung function.
- Reduces Premenstrual Symptoms*: Magnesium protects against PMS, reducing ratings of depression, water retention, and anxiety.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Individual results may vary and results are not guaranteed. The provided information is for educational purposes only. Poliquin Group does not provide medical advice, treatment, or diagnosis.